HIS Sign is a CART Service Provider in Frederick, MD
Real-Time Captioning in Frederick
The National Court Reporters Association (NCRA) describes CART services as “the instant translation of the spoken word into English text using a stenotype machine, notebook computer and realtime software.” The text produced by the CART service can be displayed on an individual’s computer monitor, projected onto a screen, combined with a video presentation to appear as captions, or otherwise made available using other transmission and display systems
HIS Sign is a CART Service Provider to many organizations in Frederick and would be happy to partner with you to offer a solution to your needs. For more information about our services, please complete the form below or simply reach out to us by email Info@HISsign.com.
CART stands for Communication Access Real-time Translation.
The CART service is referred to as real-time captioning and results in the display of everything that is being said, word for word on a computer, television or projection screen. The service may be provided by a “captioner” that is either on-site or off-site (remote). A transcript can also be produced at the completion of services.
A individual, the “captioner”, uses a device (court reporting stenography machine or computer with real-time captioning software) with an internet connection and types in everything that is said. The word for word text is then displayed on a computer, television or projection screen.
The “captioner” is not actually typing each word, the phonetic origin of a word is used instead of the actual spelling, which allows the “captioner” to type up to 260 words per minute with 98% accuracy and above.
The “captioner” uses an internet connection to hear and to project what is said at the service location.
To receive remote CART services you will need the following:
- A computer with an internet connection (A high-speed internet connection is not required but is helpful) at the service location.
- Compatible remote captioning software (provided free of charge).
- A high quality microphone for use at the service location that connects to the computer or an audio feed from a sound system.
- Computer(s), television(s) or projection screen(s) to connect to the computer in order to allow the consumers to view the captioning.
To receive on-site CART services you will need the following:
- Computer(s), television(s) or projection screen(s) to connect to the computer used by the “captioner”. This will allow the consumers to view the captioning.