"As a long-time interpreter, I truly understand the commitment and dedication that sign language interpreters put into their career. That's why one of my goals at HIS Sign is to create an environment of respect for our interpreters."
Christina Hammrich, President/Owner
Interested in Providing Services at a Company that Cares?
Thank you for your interest in providing interpreting services through HIS Sign. Please review the Interpreter Service Standards and follow the registration steps below in order.
If you have any questions, please contact us.
Certification is required from HIS Sign customers in Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and West Virginia. Maryland does not require certification.
HIS Sign customers in the D.C. and Northern Virginia areas require either a VQAS III+ (Virginia Quality Assurance Screening), EIPA 3.5+ (Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment) or RID (Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf).
You must have completed both the written and performance portion of the test. Additionally, you must have received an RID card to be recognized as having an RID Certification.
HIS Sign welcomes all interpreters to register. Upon receipt of certification, you may simply contact Registration@HISsign.com with the new results and we will be happy to make adjustments according to your certification.
Currently, HIS Sign only provides services to D.C., Northern Virginia, West Virginia, Frederick County, and Baltimore County.
The length of the registration process is dependent on how quickly the interpreter sends us their paperwork and signs up for the remote screening.
The easiest and fastest way to send us your paperwork is to take a photo and send it to Registration@HISsign.com. A photo taken with your phone will be fine. You also have the option to fax (703-738-8618) or send (44050 Ashburn Shopping Plaza #195-639, Ashburn, VA 20147) us your paperwork.
EchoSign is an e-signature site for documents and forms. HIS Sign uses their services to send the Media Release Form, Direct Deposit Form and W-9 Form.
Eventbrite is a ticketing platform where you can schedule a HIS Sign remote screening interview.
HIS Sign believes in quality interpreters providing quality service. In order to do this, HIS Sign performs a screening/interview to know what types of jobs will best fit the interpreters. In order to make it as easy as possible, interpreters may screen remotely from the comfort of their home computer.
You will need a computer with a camera, Skype account, access to your email, access to YouTube and headphones.
Deaf Interpreters will be send a separate screening email.
All background checks are processed through Verified First, 100% FCRA (Federal Fair Credit Reporting Act) compliant. It is completely safe and secure. HIS Sign does not see your Social Security Number.
If you have not submitted your paperwork within 2 weeks, your application status will become “inactive” till you are ready to proceed. When you are ready, please contact Registration@HISsign.com and let us know you would like to reactivate your status.
HIS Sign partners with the freelance interpreters that sign on to provide services through us. To this end, one of our responsibilities includes the pursuit of new contracts to provide work for our freelance interpreters. HIS Sign collects your resume and BIO and will use this information in the solicitation of contracts. You benefit from these efforts because when we win a contract, there is more work available for you. If you prefer not to have your information included in this process, you may opt-out by letting us know of your desires by sending an email note to RFPOptOut@HISsign.com.
When an applicant tries to fill out an online application there are several things that can cause problems:
• They might be applying to the wrong site. Your site is http//www.hissign.ersp.biz. A lot of times applicants will forget the name of a company or the address to apply to and so they do a Google Search and submit to the wrong site.
• They may be trying to apply using their phone and lost an internet connection. This happens a lot actually and they don’t realize the connection to the internet was dropped. This happens most frequently when using 3G or 4G, if they lose the internet and submit the application form none of the data can be saved.
• Lastly, another common issue is the Captcha at the bottom of the Online Application. This is where the applicant needs to enter the letters and numbers displayed correctly in order to submit the application. This is to prove they are human and prevents automated spam bots from generating false prospects.
Responses below sent to a recent graduate that was moving to the Roanoke area :
1) Are there any restrictions on newly graduated, pre-certified interpreters? In VA you are required to have a VQAS III, EIPA 3.5 or RID Certification to work in the school system. Some agencies do not require certification/screening level but for 98% of our work, it is required.
2) If so, is there a provisional license that I may apply for? No provisional license in VA but we suggest you immediately look into taking either the VQAS or the EIPA exam. We can provide you with some information on them if you’d like.
3) Does your agency provide interpreting services in or around the Roanoke, VA area? No. We do know an interpreter in the Harrisonburg area in case that is near. Let us know and we can see if she’d like to connect with you.
4) If not, is your company familiar with any agency in that area? No, but a Google search should find some. If not, check out either www.VDDHH.org or www.RID.org and search for interpreters in that area. Perhaps one of them will provide you with some support.
If you are a subcontractor for HIS Sign and you earned $600 or more you will receive a 1099.
The 1099’s are mailed out on or before January 31st as required by the IRS. Please allow 7-10 business days for arrival by the USPS.
We appreciate your concern on the safety of your Social Security Number and please know that we safeguard all of your information. In practice the IRS will not accept a EIN with a person’s name – even if the person properly obtained the EIN from the IRS. The IRS has consistently mailed out letters to the company filing the 1099’s claiming the information does not match the IRS records. The letter then leads to the fines and penalties that can and will be assessed to the issuing company if the information is not corrected. His Signs should not be subject to fines and penalties and the IRS should provide a way for you to use your EIN – but they have not at this point. Therefore we suggest that you use your Social Security number with your name or use your business name with your EIN.
Please fill out the W-9 form below (Presented through Adobe Sign, our e-Signature software platform). Once signed, an email with the subject “Please confirm your signature on <Form Name>” will be sent to the email address you entered. Once you “Confirm my email address”, the form will be automatically emailed to TerpAdmin@HISsign.com.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, HIS Sign, LLC, does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
We thank you for your interest in joining the HIS Sign Team!